Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Celebrate the Funny Side of Life

International Joke Day: Celebrate the Funny Side of Life!


Knock Knock!
Who's There?
Justin.
Justin who?
Justin time for International Joke Day!
I know, I know.  That was a pretty bad knock-knock joke, but today (July 1) really is international Joke Day.  To celebrate that day, I decided to finally scrapbook some of my favorite photos of my children when they were little.  I have three Polaroidpictures of them doing goofy things, and I've been "saving them for just the right layout."  You know how that is, right?  We save them for years; and, before you know it, they're teenagers
When my children were younger, I kept a journal of the funny things they said, because I knew that I probably wouldn't remember them all as the years passed.  I was right.  I laughed until I cried when I read the pages in that journal.  Those quotes were perfect for my journaling.
Since the original photos were Polaroids, I didn't have any negatives.  So before I used them on my layout, I scanned them and saved a copy on my computer.  That allowed me the freedom to have fun with the photos.  Using my Cricut and some kraftcardstock, I cut Polaroid frames that I had designed.
 After wrapping some baker's twine around the photos, I layered them on top of some patterned papers from the Simple Stories Summer Fresh line.  The fun zig-zag/chevron and polka-dot designs worked very well with the happy, fun mood of this layout.
I like to mix old supplies with new ones; so for the journaling, I used a patterned paper that came with a kit that I've had for a few years.  I typed up some of the funny quotes and printed the journaling on plain printer paper.  Then I adhered the patterned paper on top of the printer paper, using repositionable adhesive.
The doily that is peeking out from behind the journaling was cut with a Lucky 8 Punch by We R Memory Keepers.  Because I'm a frugal scrapbooker, I cut the doily in half and saved the other half for another project.  I'll probably use it on a card.
Since I wanted a fun title for this layout, I chose a fun font for my Cricut and cut it out of kraft cardstock.  Making the word ‘funny' stand out with glitter was easy.  I ran the letters face-down through my Xyron machine.  Then I sprinkled some Martha Stewart glitter over them and ran them through my Xyron right-side up.  The polka-dots were an afterthought, and I drew them on with a white gel pen.  To make the letters stand out even more, I outlined them with a black journaling pen.
All that was left after that was to add a few embellishments:  buttons, phrases, punched circles, and baker's twine.  Those make just about any layout a little more fun, don't they?
I hope you decide to celebrate International Joke Day by creating a fun layout yourself.  Just grab those fun photos, a few funnysayings or a funny story, some fun products from Scrapjazz.com, and fun supplies from your stash.  Celebrate the funny side of life!
  

No comments: